Friday, August 29, 2008

Stone-carved town of Goreme, Cappadocia


A man in a carpet shop who wanted to see my pictures came across this one and asked me: "do you know why that door is green?"

I didn't so he told me; a man who has a good life can paint his door green, if he has a family, he is healthy and he has been to mecca.

I saw so many green doors from then on.




Another day I was sitting in the shade overlooking the town when i was approached by a veritable 'gang' of children. I was a magnet to them with the camera.

Naturally they hadn't a word of english but we had some common words like "spiderman". I was given a demonstration of climbing prowess on the rocks and had some distant spires pointed out as past victories.

After declining to follow i learnt another universality, making chicken noises at someone means the same thing right around the world...


No comments: